November 23, 2012

chia this . . .

Salvia hispanica, commonly known as chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala (Wikipedia). How big a niche market is chia? Some of friends use it everyday . . . (disclaimer) while I have a bag of chia in my cupboard, I usually use it sparingly and with a slight grimace waiting for the the what I use it in to turn to tapioca pudding without the tapioca taste . . . maybe I should just believe that the Aztecs gods may have known of what they spoke . . . (so to speak) . . . Some folks are ahead of me. Not surprising as I've noticed some folks who are also aft (some no doubt daft), before (or heretofore), starboard (or overboard) and port (my favorite holiday guests) . . .
... Whole and ground chia seeds are being added to fruit drinks, snack foods and cereals and sold on their own to be baked into cookies and sprinkled on yogurt. Grown primarily in Mexico and Bolivia, chia is rich in the same omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, along with antioxidants, protein and fiber. Recognition of its nutritional value can be traced as far back as the Aztecs.

No comments:

Post a Comment